DATE: FRIDAY, AUGUST 11, 2017
TIME: 5:00 – 7:00 PM
LOCATION: 297 SHORELINE AVENUE, SOUTH BRUCE PENINSULA, ON
SPEAKER: Leslie Wood
Leslie Wood’s concern about the spread of phragmites in Oliphant and The Fishing Islands has led to her immersion in “everything phrag”, and has resulted in the spearheading of a group of islanders who are concerned, and are taking action to preserve the environment on and around their islands, by dealing with the phragmites that is spreading rapidly here. Her training in the subject has included:
· a 3-day Invasive Plant Species of Ontario Annual Conference, Ottawa, Feb./17
· Georgian Bay Forever Day long workshop, April /17
· Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation Workshop, Goderich, July 8 (with Janice Gilbert and Lynn Short
· 30 minute discussion about the invasive species phragmites and why we should care
· approx. 1 hour demonstration of the physical control methods to use with phragmites on land and in water
- demonstration of spading, hand-cutting with raspberry cane cutter and discussion of cutting with Stihl gas cutters
What to Bring:
· garden gloves
· please bring your own snack if you need something to tie you over
This event will take place, rain or shine. We will cancel if there is thunder or lightening.
All welcome! (If you are able to RSVP to email@example.com, it is helpful, but not necessary to join us.
Any questions, please contact Donna Stewart at 519-372-5674 or firstname.lastname@example.org.